Thursday, 19 February 2009

insights from roses and temp jobs

since leaving CGH as RA, i've been unable to get a job until now..

just started another temp job at MOE again (almost same as previous job)..

I realised i hate this job. and it came at a bad timing.

the job is strictly confidential and highly regulated by the officials in charge.

there's a stupid memory test and candidates are given 8 hrs to memorise word-for-word.
worse still, we cant refer to the paper when given the test. and the stupid official expects us to remember things after they interrupt us with unimportant things.

i was so tired from not sleeping one entire night and couldn't even last till the afternoon for the test.

that was really a nightmare; i still feel the shock and fear from it.

shudder to think that i actually was physically there and did those things i did. after that long day of not functioning, i actually lasted till 3am plus to work on my valentine's flowers.. 24 + 21 hrs = 45 hrs of not sleeping!! wow. and i don't believe i lasted so long. totally ignored my body shouting for sleep and time-out. simply didn't take much of a break. that night slept 4 hrs to wake up at 7am..

it was an amazing experience. i never expected myself to overcome that difficult period of 4 days.. but i overcame it and i'm proud of it! but maybe my life expectancy just got reduced by another 5 years or so. who cares? as long as i get to try out new things, experience things in life, and make some money, life is still worth living. a life busied is better than a life wasted by doing nothing.

i realised that i enjoy doing such small businesses that actually impact and matter to people. rather than working behind a computer. this business taught me that people are important and they matter, and the way they interact with each other is also very important to me. since i've an intrinsic interest in people's happiness, doing something related to their happiness gives me meaning and fulfilment too.

therefore, i shall set out to do things similar to this in future.

also in this experience, i learned that family is very important. without my family's help and support, and connections, i'll be unable to survive the whole thing. my parents helped out in purchasing last min flowers, transporting me from place to place with that bulky flowers, de-thorning of roses, wrapping of roses, delivery of roses etc.. without them, my 2 legs will need to use Kage bunshin (shadow clones) to do all those..

luckily for me, i had yuwen who was free to help me out with delivery on 2 days, and also wrapping of flowers. if not, no one is free to handle both neighboring deliveries and faraway deliveries at the same timing, including wrapping of flowers at the same time!!

all in all, it was a very meaningful experience, and there was time for family bonding and friendship to bloom in every corner ~ certainly a different way to spend my valentine's.
even though i ended up really sleepy, grouchy and unagreeable on the night of valentine's, leaving me unable to enjoy it with my boyfriend arul, it was all worth the effort and sweat!

No comments: