Thursday, 21 February 2008

pillion riding lesson

I was deprived of riding for quite long after my 2 straight passes.. and last night i went for another class. It was on pillion riding. Well pillion riding was exciting and challenging.


Arul pillioned me first cos he said he knew the test route. I wasn't too sure of it. Weird that our previous instructors did not explicitly tell us which is the test route. TAI HEN - desu!! How could they not teach us the test route properly? I think they dont take their jobs seriously lor. Anws, we went to the wrong route and the instructor told us the correct one. hilarious. haha.

Btw, arul's start/stop skills are so terrible, i was constantly jerked back and forth, it was so scary and he kept 'yelling' at me to grab him properly. I mean, dun have to grab until so tight one right. but anws, he was wearing this slipperly type of material as his jacket, so it was bad. I was holding tight already but he did not feel it, and he kept thinking I was gonna fall off. I mean, I wouldn't, would I? haiz

Well at least we went through it safely.

When it was my turn, I was slightly apprehensive cos I was afraid I couldn't support both our weights. I was right. Sector 1 was right turn, into slope area, and when I was going down the slope, I couldn't go straight, and my handlebar was wobbling. Left turn out and go straight to S and crank course. I was surprised I could control the bike properly during the S and crank course, I must have gotten quite good at that already. Next up was to pass the traffic lights and go straight for a right turn. After right turn, change lane to left lane and exit to Plank and Pylon. That was hard, i fell down the plank, and I headed to pylon. But on the 2nd cone, I did not swerve enough, and I slightly hit the cone, and before I knew it, my bike went for the curb and I my knees hit hard on the ground.

I was shocked. I thought that if I hit the cone, its safe, since the cone is supposed to fall. But I fell instead. haha. Well, anws we picked ourselves up from the fall, and oh btw, Arul was leaning on me when we fell (so kinda double weight). When I stabalised myself, I saw that my left knee was bleeding abit, and there was a hole in my jeans where I hit. Well well, limping and feeling slightly 'defeated', I told Arul that I was fine and can go.

After that, it was uneventful as I headed confidently (with strength and pride burning and wanting to be restored) towards the Emergency brake area. My instructor (btw, he was my ex-favorite instructor, the super nice guy) asked why I fell. well, it was so embarrassing. My skills in the pylon needs to be polished up man. The rest of the circuit, I am totally alright.

My right knee (Day 3)
My left knee (Day 3)

After the pillion riding, we headed to the riding simulator. It was so exciting and me and Arul couldn't wait to 'play' the simulator. So when the instructor asked for volunteer, we both shouted, but Arul shouted first, haha. Well so I was jealous. Anws, it seemed fun and he gave a demonstration of the thing. really duno wad its about cos instructor just asked us to get on it, and go to a certain speed. Up to us to see what happens. It was exciting though hehe.

After Arul's turn (he did a demo of E-brake at 80km/h, and also about braking distance when we're unprepared v.s. when we're prepared has a difference of 1 second. At 80km/h, 1 second equals 20metres!!), instructor asked for another volunteer. The 3 other guys didn't, and my enthusiasm got me on the simulator! hehe. So anws, I bumped into the lorry haha. It was about the 2 second rule.

Well, then instructor told us this story about a lady who did not follow the 2 second rule, and she died an instant death. This happened 10 years ago. Her fiance was heartbroken... Well, it was because another lady driver in front of her suddenly jam brake in the middle of the expressway, and she was keeping too close. Her bike stopped, but she was flung 30 metres away and died instantly. Thinking why the lady driver jammed brake? Or have you heard the story? Well, she jammed the brakes because she did not put in the cashcard for the ERP.

The quotes from my instructor and BBDC.
Ride Safe.
Ride Responsibly.
Be patient.
Do not demand Right of Way.



1 comment: